June 1, 2008

WTF?: Some more crazy Providence jams [Javelin]

One of the better youtube vids of recent memory




Providence, Rhode Island is a hotbed for hipsters, avant garde music acts and, so I hear, really awesome Chinese food. Actually I had the best hamachi of my life in Providence, AND you can listen to exclusive RISD tunes on this blog. I think there's more to come on that front, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Today's dosage of Providence culture is Javelin, a group of two dudes who cobble together songs with a really strong 80's aesthetic.



I'll go ahead and say that these two tracks are some of the most enjoyable I've heard lately - the keyboard line in this remix of "Shimmy Shimmy Ya" is so head noddable. The second one is a helium rap song that addresses the ways of the mysterious KANGAROO and Japanese smash hit game SUDOKU. I don't think these tunes are created to last for very long, but judging by the attitude of the guys in their video above, I think they cultivate this tossed-off style.



Javelin - Shimmy Shimmy Ya

Javelin - Oh Centra

1 comment:

Justin said...

This sh-t is hot. That bass line is as chunky as Campbell's Chunky Soup.