December 17, 2007

Taxin MCs like the internal revenue (Five Deez)

I ate at a Japanese restaurant this weekend where they were showing taped anime on TV. The sound was off so I couldn't really follow what was going on, but since these were shows grabbed from [adult swim] I got to see some of those great bumpers, which reminded me that they're what I miss most about cable TV. One of these bumpers was giving shoutouts to some of the music they'd been featuring. There were some recognizable names like Madlib, but then they flashed up Five Deez, a name I hadn't heard for a while.




Five Deez - Blue Light Special


This song was big for me sophomore year of high school after I heard it on KZSU. It's a pretty subdued song, the beat is very awesome. Some of the guys in Five Deez helped out with the music for Samurai Champloo, and it says here that they are working with a bunch of hip-hop artists in Japan. That's cool to see them doing well, I wonder if it would be possible for these local groups to get so big internationally if not for the internet.

No comments: