January 31, 2009

Live Review: A Milky Disco Affair [Lindstrom]

el girafa "quadrophonic"

This past Thursday I had the distinct pleasure of seeing Lindstrom perform live at "off again, on again" Studio B in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. By now Hey Student! readers know we have a slight bias towards this slinky Norwegian and his absolutely creamy disco beats, with his latest LP Where You Go I Go Too topping our best of 2008 lists. Lindstrom's performance, much like that album, didn't fail to disappoint and was one of the better live electronic events I have seen.

With Lindstrom set to perform at 1 AM (!!!) that night, I knew sleep was not going to be an option. After having a few drinks at a quaint bar in my hood, me and a couple of my friends jumped into a cab at around midnight to make our trek to the cavernous, though, sadly, poorly located Studio B. Arriving at around 12:20 AM, we were greeted to some highly danceable tuneage from the opening DJ, including a fantastic remix of Cut Copy's "Hearts on Fire", which I am having difficulty locating (can any Hey Student! readers help a brotha out?).

Lindstrom surprising took stage at the advertised start time of 1 AM, opening with the always epic title track off Where You Go I Go Too. At that moment I knew this show was going to rock. Hard. What followed were several Lindstrom burners, including the track that started it all, "I Feel Space", the sprawling, groovetastic "Another Station" and fist-pump inducing "Grand Ideal." For the final track, Lindstrom ended where he began, giving an encore performance of "Where You Go I Go Too," giving closure to a wonderful live performance.

Arriving home at around 3:30 AM and waking up four hours later for work was a painful exercise, though the sacrifice was worth it. Do yourself a favor and see this man live - he will not disappoint.

No comments: