August 22, 2008

Variations on a theme


Dr. Wesley Pentz

Three songs. One break.

1. Brew Barrymore. See what Diplo can do!

2. Electric Relaxation. I don't want to say the best Tribe song ever, but between the sample and lyrics, it's definitely up there. I shan't repeat the song's best lines here, because this is a family blog, but I will hint that I have a soft spot for any and all puns on the now-defunct chain store, Seaman's Furniture. I am particularly sad that people just discovering this music now won't be able to catch the reference.

3. Mystic Brew: the song that started it all. Grinding, funky organs and lots of tasty vibes. Ronnie Foster was 22 when he wrote this song! Shame on all of us.

Diplo - Brew Barrymore [?]

A Tribe Called Quest - Electric Relaxation [Midnight Marauders, 1993]

Ronnie Foster - Mystic Brew [The Two-Headed Freap, 1972]

No comments: