April 9, 2008

Surprise: I'm really digging the new British Sea Power




I didn’t spend too much time with the new British Sea Power album at first; I listened to it once through and wasn’t really blown away. A couple of days before their March show at Bottom of the Hill, I thought to myself, “I’ll probably go to the show and end up loving the album.” That’s pretty much what happened. Much like Cornelius, British Sea Power plays straight-ahead rock. They're probably one of the few bands left in 2008 that owe anything to Echo and the Bunnymen. Nobody else is on that really epic rock tip these days, I think.



They led off their concert with “No Lucifer.” When I first heard this song I thought it was a little too blunt to be a BSP song, but I think it's just fine now. There's no question that Do You Like Rock Music? is not as challenging as The Decline of British Sea Power. I’m sure some people will roll their eyes at this album for its aspirations of rocking on a larger scale, and it's not for nothing that the name U2 has cropped up in some reviews. But actually ‘selling out’ isn't about your music. Even with more stadium-friendly production, British Sea Power aren't pandering to their audience. That’s a sign of a band that's ready for the big time.




British Sea Power - No Lucifer [Do You Like Rock Music? LP, 2008]

British Sea Power - Canvey Island [Do You Like Rock Music? LP, 2008]

British Sea Power - Open the Door [Do You Like Rock Music? LP, 2008]

No comments: