April 16, 2009

Blitzen Trapper



So, Blitzen Trapper. I like these guys okay...Say, 7 out of 10. It's easy folk, and, for all of the Pavement comparisons they get, they're actually much closer to something like CSNY: good'n'pretty'n'kinda'boring. However, when it comes to their Big Hit, Wild Mountain Nation, I've got to tip my hat, avert my eyes, bow in gratitude, and slink backwards out of the room. Malkmus, who ended up doing a few shows with them last year, summed the situation up nicely:
I was blown away by that (song). But then Janet’s like, ‘That song is absolutely amazing, but don’t worry, not every song on the album is that good. They’re not going to completely shred us.’
Honestly, I'd be shocked to see these guys doing any shredding whatsoever, let alone of the fucking Jicks. But this song will make your day, gar-on-teed.

Blitzen Trapper – Wild Mountain Nation [Wild Mountain Nation, 2007]

1 comment:

Dan said...

this totally sums up my reaction to them too! i saw them in SF last year, i was like... ehh... definitely on the boring side. but this song is cool, i'm listening to it right now.