November 13, 2007

No point exists (Akron/Family)

1/6 Akron/Family



What kind of band starts off a song with gentle guitar strumming and the words: "I wanna see the thing-in-itself/I don't wanna think no more/I wanna see the thing-in-itself/I don't wanna think no more/I wanna see the thing-in-itself/I don't wanna see nothing else/I wanna see the thing-in-itself/I don't wanna think no more"? Obviously a band made up of dudes who were paying at least half-attention in philosophy class. Coincidence that one of this band's new songs is called "Phenomena"?



Akron/Family are one of the most exciting bands out right now. Critics lumped them in at first with the "freak-folk"/"New Weird America" movement, but on their current tour they're busting out prog rock songs, folk songs, soul songs and (yes) 7 man posse-style rap songs, all held together with some well-rehearsed dynamics. It's very bloggish to get hyperbolic about bands but I really do think they're in the upper echelon of contemporary rock music.





Akron/Family - There's So Many Colors [Love is Simple, 2007]

Akron/Family - Phenomena [Love is Simple, 2007]

Akron/Family - Suchness [Akron/Family, 2005]

No comments: